A minority community of Mulims in Surkhet, Nepal has drawn the attention of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. Sisters have worked in various communities before in this part of Nepal, but this community has been overlooked by many.The confinement of women in their own families, their poverty, exclusion, and lack of education has moved the SCNs to work in this western Nepal community.
Rosita Kavilpurayidathil, SCN, and her staff have setup meetings and now administer her ministry to this community. In the beginning they were hesitant to receive assistance, but warmed up to the Sisters after repeat visits.
Here are some of what is has been accomplished:
- Five women’s empowerment groups have been formed.
- Training classes in leadership and health have taken place.
- Women are trained as village health volunteers.
- Children have been encouraged to go to school and 65 children were given school uniforms.
- Education materials were given to the local school.
- Widows suffering from poverty were given food supplies and clothes.
- Women from the community participated in public rallies for the first time in their lives.
- Small tailoring and restaurant businesses have begun to help the people earn a living.