On Oct. 13, 2011, thirty-four Sisters of Charity and Associates made a trip to five sites in the Owensboro Diocese where they first established missions in the 1800s. This trip is part of the Bicentennial celebration of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth who were founded near Bardstown on Dec.1, 1812. The Sisters first came to St. Vincent’s in 1820 and opened an academy there. The group visited the cemetery at St. Vincent’s and had a delicious lunch in the parish hall.

Along the way Charlene Jacobs, SCN, read a little from the SCN centennial book by Anna Blanche McGill, SCN, at each of these sites of our early missions: Bethlehem Academy, Bardstown – 1819; St. Frances Academy, Owensboro – 1849; St. Vincent Academy, St. Vincent – 1820; St. Ann School, Morganfield – 1912; St. Rose Academy, Uniontown – 1872 (later named St. Agnes)