Vincentian Sisters of Charity



Vincentian Sisters of Charity in Pittsburgh, PA were founded in 1902 …

A small band of pioneer Sisters emigrated to the United States from Szatmar, Austria-Hungary, at the request of a parish priest in Braddock, PA. These five Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul (later known as the Vincentian Sisters of Charity) were dedicated to the work of God in teaching and ministering to the sick. Their mission in 1902: to minister to the enormous numbers of recent Slovak immigrants.

Upon arrival the Sisters immediately began teaching in the parish school and were housed in rented space. Within two years, the parishioners of St. Michael's built them a small convent. Young local girls interested in a religious life began to inquire about entering the order. A novitiate was established; the first postulant in America was admitted on January 2, 1905. The Vincentian Sisters of Charity of Pittsburgh, PA., had now firmly planted their roots in North American Soil.

The activities and membership of our Community increased. Soon there was a need for a larger facility and land was purchased north of Pittsburgh. In 1915, the new Motherhouse was dedicated. Today the Motherhouse complex is located at the McKnight Road address.

In addition to teaching children in the parochial schools, the Sisters began Vincentian High School and became established in institutional nursing service at the Vincentian Home. Today the Sisters own and operate two other nursing homes, the Villa de Marillac and Regency Hall Nursing Home and Adult Day Care.