A group of alums of OCHS, spearheaded by Liz Field Corr, a 63 graduate, is planning a memorial to honor the ministry of the Sisters of Charity at Owensboro Catholic High from 1951-1983. The committee wanted to share this news with all SCNs and Associates. Three SCNs serve on the planning committee: Sister Maggie Cooper, an SCN and former alum, Sister Mary Eula Johnson, the most recent SCN in the Owensboro Diocese, Sister Marie Becker, a former teacher and artistic consultant.
Alumni of OCHS have begun an effort to establish a permanent memorial honoring the service of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth at OC. The Sisters were the first educators and administrators when OC opened in 1951. The Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, founded in 1812 in Bardstown, KY, were among the first orders of American Sisters. They came to the Owensboro area in 1849. The first statue honoring a woman on public land in Louisville was that of Mother Catherine Spalding, foundress of the SCNs. The unveiling took place in front of the Cathedral in 2015.